Saturday, July 4, 2009

Happy Independence Day!

I sit here on a bright and sunny Fourth of July and ponder the state of the world. And I might add that I do this in comfort of a safe home with my family in the next room. My son, JD, is here from Indiana. We are thinking later this afternoon of meeting my in laws at Grapevine Lake to cook out and watch the fireworks. This will hopefully be a good day for good people.


But on a more serious note, I think that this is a perfect time to consider what happened two-hundred and thirty-three years ago. Very simply, the world changed. The Independence of the second world began after a land that had been colonized by Europeans decided to throw off what the colonists believed to be the "yoke of oppression." This group of colonists met in Philadelphia and drafted a Declaration of Independence that boldly declared that they were free men granted those rights by their creator. I have been reading about the founding fathers and have received the same e-mails that you have been receiving about the fates of the founding fathers. Many of these men and their families suffered in the the years that followed their fateful choice. Years where it was no cinch that the Independence gained could be held.

Which should remind us that freedom isn't free and never was. Think about what those fellows said and did. I have heard it said often that they were prepared to give their lives for their liberty and country. What often goes unstated is that they also were prepared to take the lives of others in the defense of their liberty and country. Now that is what is known as "commitment."

The whole basis of our country is about freedom. And nothing else but freedom. Our country strives for many things, but freedom is the cornerstone. Freedom is more important than security, equality, health-care, multi-culturalism, or any other idea that have popped up in the last few years. So, from the red-neck prairie today, enjoy your freedoms with your family.

1 comment:

  1. I randomly found your blog, and I'm glad that I did. Very interesting stuff. I'm a conservative blogger in Chicago (rjmoeller.com). Keep up the good work and God Bless.

    ReplyDelete