Friday, September 4, 2009

Where Did All Those Bumper Stickers Go?

To my admirers who comprise the great unwashed, I can state, with much emphasis, that I have been in a huge funk. Times are hard and my dire circumstances have required me to get off my duff on finding a job. Now, I typically keep a constant vigilance on the job boards that I follow, and apply for several jobs each day. But stir-craziness forced me to set a goal of getting some resume packets printed up, identifying potential employers and then hand-delivering one of my packets to their offices. I found the following things in my treks this week:
  • The receptionist position is becoming a luxury item in the present-day home-builder corporate office.
  • Those companies with receptionists are still surprised to see someone actually bring by and drop off a resume packet in person. This is what I am counting on.
  • I had two dry runs this week. When I found the corporate office, there was a letter taped to the door explaining that the tenants were evicted due to non-payment of rent. Not a good sign considering these were not lightweight companies.
  • It was good to get out of the house. I had been cooped up for about six weeks, e-mailing and online applying for jobs that never really acknowledge that you exist.

Now, I made what I believe is an important discovery that went unnoticed by keeping myself cooped up. I did not see many Obama stickers on cars. I think I maybe saw one. Three months ago, you could ride the tollway and it seemed like every other car had one. Hell, I even had a neighbor down the street who kept his Obama campaign sign displayed in his yard well after the election. I remember looking down and seeing it in March when I was trimming bushes in the front yard. Today, when I walked down to the lake, his cars are now missing the Obama stickers. You know it is a bad sign of the times when the true believers quit believing.

1 comment:

  1. As far as I know, all the home builders out this way (Northeast Indiana) have become skeletons of what they were. The company I worked for has gone from 25-30 employees to 6 or less. The biggest gimmick here now are all the radio commercials claiming a 33 year mortgage for 525 a month....yeah right. I want to see the fine print.

    ReplyDelete